A tasty eggplant and potato curry that goes well with rice, flatbread or naan. A popular North Indian dish, it is a rustic feast that is soul satisfying.
Yield: 4 Servings
4 tbsp. vegetable oil 1/2 cups finely chopped onions
1 lb. eggplant, cut into 1.2" cubes 1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 cup potatoes (unpeeled) 1-2 serrano peppers, chopped (optional)
1 inch ginger, crushed 3 cloves garlic, crushed
11/2 tbsp. Vegetable Masala 1/2 cup water or as required
2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro (optional) 1 tsp. sea salt or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450F. In a large bowl, toss the eggplant with 2 tbsp. oil. Spread on a baking tray in a single layer and roast for 30 minutes.
2. Boil the potatoes and then cut into 1.2" cubes. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Ad the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, pepper and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
4. Add the tomato sauce, spice blend and mix well. Cover and cook--about 3 minutes.
5. Then add the boiled potatoes and the baked eggplant and mix well. Also add water and salt (add both as required). Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Stir once or twice.
6. Turn the heat off and garnish with cilantro.
Serve over steamed basmati rice, naan, roti or paratha.