A semi-dry lip smacking curry that is deliciously spiced in tomato-onion sauce. Enjoy it with flatbread or dal and rice.
Yield: 4 Servings
2.5 tbsp. ghee/vegetable oil 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 lb. okra, sliced lengthwise, cut into 2"
11/2 cup tomato, chopped
1-2 serrano peppers, chopped (optional) 1 tbsp. Vegetable Masala
1 inch ginger, crushed 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. sea salt or to taste 2 tbsp. water or as required
2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro (optional) squeeze of lemon (optional)
1. Heat 1 tbsp. ghee/oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Cook the okra until they are tender and soft (about 10-15 mins). Remove from the skillet and set aside.
3. In the same pan, heat the remaining ghee/oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, pepper and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
4. Add the tomato and cover and cook for about 5 minutes until tomatoes are soft and mushy.
5. Add the spice blend, salt and mix well. Add water as required so that the spices don't burn.
6. Then add the okra and mix well so they are well coated with the masala mixture. Sauté for a minute or two more.
7. Turn the heat off. Add a squeeze of lemon. Stir and garnish with cilantro.
Serve over steamed basmati rice, naan, roti or paratha