Savory, complex and fragrant, this chicken curry is the perfect addition to your dinner lineup. It's one secret is my garam masala blend, made with 16 spices that adds depth to the curry.
Yield: 6 Servings
2 tbsp. ghee/vegetable oil 21/2 lb. whole chicken, cut into 16-18 pieces
11/2 cups onion, chopped finely 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 inch ginger, crushed 2-3 serrano peppers, chopped (optional)
11/2 cups tomatoes, chopped 2 bay leaves
11/2 inch cinnamon stick 6 green cardamom, whole
1 tbsp. cumin powder 6 cloves
1 tbsp. coriander powder 1/2 tsp. turmeric
3 tbsp. tomato paste 11/2 cup chicken stock
11/2 tsp. Garam Masala 2 tsp. sea salt or to taste
Handful of chopped cilantro 1/4 lime
1. Heat oil in a thick bottom skillet in medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add the bay leaves, green cardamom, cinnamon stick and cloves. Stir as they sputter.
2. Turn the heat to medium low. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, pepper and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
4. Add chicken and salt. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, uncovering and stirring occasionally.
5. Then add the turmeric, cumin and coriander powders. Stir for a minute.
6. Add the tomatoes and tomato paste and mix everything very well. Also add the chicken stock. At this point you can either uncover and cook or cook it covered, while stirring occasionally either ways. Let the chicken simmer for another 20-25 minutes until the chicken is cooked well and the gravy is reduced to a nice thick consistency.
6. Once the chicken is cooked add the garam masala and the lime. Stir well. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro before serving with your choice of bread or rice.