A fantastic vegan or vegetarian main dish. The meaty quality of the jackfruit comes through and goes really well with the pungency of the chana masala blend, while the chickpea rounds up the dish well with a delicious crunch. Pair it with brown rice or salad for a perfect healthy meal.
Yield: 3-4 Servings
2 tbsp. ghee/vegetable oil 1 cup onion, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic, crushed 1 inch ginger, crushed
2 serrano peppers, chopped (optional) 3 tbsp. tomato paste
1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed 1 (14 oz.) can young jackfruit, drained
1/2 cup water or as desired 1/2 tsp. sea salt or to taste Chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Heat oil in a thick bottom skillet in medium heat. Once the oil is heated, add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger, pepper and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
2. Reduce heat to medium low. Add the tomato paste, Chana Masala blend and salt and stir.
3. Then add the chickpeas, jackfruit and water. Mix well. Add more water and salt based on desired consistency and taste. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, uncovering and stirring once or twice.
4. Stir in garam masala and cook for a minute more.
5. Garnish with cilantro before serving with your choice of bread or rice.