Super simple mushroom recipe that can be served as a side dish or an appetizer. Often called 'mushroom steaks' or 'vegan scallops,' the pan-friend king oyster mushroom's meaty texture and umami flavor is sure to be a hit with everybody!
Yield: 3 - 4 Servings
1/2 lb. king oyster mushrooms 2 tbsp. oil
1/4 tsp. sea salt or to taste 3/4 tsp. Vegetable Masala
1 tbsp. unsalted butter (optional)
1. In a small bowl mix the spice blend and 1 tbsp. oil.
2. Slice the mushrooms in 2-3cm tubes. Then lightly score a diagonal crisscross pattern into the sides of the mushrooms. Doing so will help the mushroom to cook more evenly and allow the seasoning to penetrate the flesh better.
3. Coat each side of the mushrooms with the spice blend mixture.
4. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. oil. Once the oil is heated, fry the mushrooms on the skillet until slightly golden--about 2 and half minutes, then flip to the other side and sear again for another 2 and half minutes.
5. (optional) Add butter to the skillet. Once melted, baste the mushrooms with butter.
6. Transfer the mushrooms to a serving plate and sprinkle with sea salt.
Serve the mushrooms with some chili crisp sauce.